Here are some ideas for grounding activities:
- Take deep, calm breaths.
- Notice and list things in your surroundings.
- Expose yourself to strong, pleasant sensations, like a pleasing smell or a favorite blanket.
- Say out loud your name, your age, the date, and your location. List some things you’ve done today, or are going to do.
- Splash water on your face or run your hands under the faucet.
- Do a body scan meditation, or pay close attention to each of your body parts one by one.
- Make tea. Feel the warmth of it in your hands, and the taste as you sip it calmly.
- Listen to music.
- Play a categories game, and name some types of dogs, or clothing items, or gemstones, or countries, or anything else you can think of.
- Write in your journal.
- Take a mindful walk, either inside or outside. Pay close attention to your body and your surroundings.
- Squiggle. Wiggle around. Dance. Stretch. Be silly and active for a few minutes.
- Any other favorite grounding technique you’ve heard of or can think of. There’s nothing wrong with experimenting!
Read it to me: